Besides tarot cards, there are still different ways to forecast what may happen in the future. One way to make a prediction is through playing cards.
A regular deck of playing cards can be used for divination. Using it to predict the future is pretty easy because it has some features that similar to tarot cards, but it does need a lot of memorization.
The art of reading future with a regular deck of cards is referred to cartomancy. Since the 14th century, it has been popular in Europe. On the contrary of tarot readings, readings with such those cards focus mostly on the meanings of the ranks and suits rather than the images in tarot. While doing the readings, Joker cards will be removed as it’s not related to the whole process.
Using Regular Playing Cards
At a basic level, black cards (including Spades and Clubs) have negative meanings, or it is a No answer. While red cards (including Hearts and Diamonds) bring positive meanings that are equivalent as a Yes. Each suit also has its own meaning, as follows:
- Heart cards interpret love and happiness. It shows the hidden feelings of a person, so the matters of love, dreams, and desires are related to this suit.
- Diamond cards show distinction and enterprise. The person having this card tends to focus on works or projects. Expressing one’s self creatively is an outstanding trait of this card.
- Club cards have a tendency in interesting in money. Practically, a person who picks up this card has material goals like finances and possessions.
- Spade cards represent struggles and animosity. It is related to the thoughts, mind, and body. It’s a warning sign among 4 suits.
There are many ways to lay out a card to do a playing cards reading.
- The Horseshoe Spread which gives a general outlook and more details with 21 cards. Divide the cards into 7 groups; each group has 3 cards and different category. These categories are the past situation (1), the present situation (2), the near future (3), the unexpected things (4), people around (5), the obstacles (6), and the outcome (7). Lay down the cards as the shape of the horseshoe.
- The Gypsy Spread is a spread that you need to lay 3 rows of 7 cards from left to right. It requires 21 cards as similar as the above spread. Each row represents the past, the present, and the future from the top to the bottom. This spread needs a great skill and confidence to combine these cards into a meaningful reading.